Monday, September 29, 2008
India is home to 32 indigenous Cow breeds out of which some are already nearing extinction. This has happened because of our callous attitude and our ignorance of their value. Every part of India has its own distinct breed like for e.g. Tharparkar from Rajasthan, Gir,Kankrej and Kathiawadi from Gujarat, Dangi from Maharashtra, Ongole from Andhra, Sahiwal from U.P, Hallikaru,Krishna Valley and Javari from Karnataka,Umblachery and Kangayam from Tamilnadu etc.
Cows are a source of strength, immunity and spirituality to humans, fertility to the soil and energy to the farmer. They also help in rural transport and provide fuel in the form of gobar gas. In this article we shall look at the contribution of cows to human health and strength.
Find the complete article in the link below
Ayurveda, the “Science of life” has emphasized equally on the preventive and treatment aspects. It advises the adoption of a good diet and lifestyle for complete health. The central philosophy of Ayurveda is that the mind and body are closely linked, and that physical health can't be achieved without emotional, mental and spiritual health.
Ayurveda is the ancient art of healing that deals with all aspects of a person’s life as an entity. It states that the basic constitution of a human being is determined at the time of conception of the fetus. This unique aspect of a human being is called Prakruti. It is the natural constitution of a human being and this is unique to each individual.Prakruti is like your fingerprint which is also unique. The Prakruti of an individual remains the same from the time of conception to death.
Illness happens when we resort to diet and lifestyle which does not match our Prakruti and health results when we adopt diet and lifestyle which do not contradict or go against our prakruti. It is as simple as that. But to be able to determine what is good and what is bad to each individual, the firsthand knowledge of individual Prakruti is very important. Prakruti is the physical and psychological constitution of the individual, which is determined on the basis of three doshas. So there are basically three constitutions namely Vata constitution, Pitta constitution and Kapha constitution and their combinations. Ayurveda aims to provide detailed guidance regarding food and lifestyle so that healthy people can stay healthy and persons with health challenges can improve their health. Once we know what we are the rest of the management becomes cakewalk.
This unique workshop will provide insights into the individual Prakruti concept and will be useful to all health lovers. The workshop can be planned & structured based on the need of individual organizations/institutions. In the workshop an initial talk regarding preventive aspects and basic principles of Ayurveda will be followed by individual one to one diet and lifestyle counseling. All the participants will be required to fill out a detailed questionnaire to determine the Prakruti prior to the individual counseling.
Benefits of the workshop:
- Understanding regarding the basic principles of Ayurveda
- Understanding about individual prakruti
- Guidelines regarding healthy diet
- Guidelines regarding health lifestyle
- Individual medical consultation if required
If you are interested in such a unique preventive health care workshop, please write to or contact:
B.A.M.S, P.G.Dip In Yoga
Ayurveda Physician & Yoga Consultant
AGASTHYA AYURVEDA CLINIC
Sunday, September 28, 2008
- Increase fibre intake in the form of good quantity of fruits and vegetables
- Drink adequate quantity of water
- Drink a glassful of milk at bedtime and a glass of warm water early in the morning
- Simple exercises, yogasana and walk also help
Loss of memory or deficient memory
Single drugs: Brahmi, shankapushpi, kushmanda
Formulations: Brahmi ghrtha, Saraswatharitishta
Saptamrutha Lauha, Tiphala Ghrtha
Vaanari Gutika, Ashwagandha Rasayana, Ashwagandha Choorna
Swadishta Virechana Choorna, Abhayarishta, Eranda Taila
Arthritis, painful joints
External use of medicated oils such as Mahanarayana Taila
Internal use of Guggulu based medicines
Tremors, unstable gait
Powder of Mucuna pruriens, Vidaryadi Kashayam and ghrtham
Hair loss, graying of hair
External use of medicated oils such as Bhrngaraja Taila and Neelabhrngaraja Taila
Internal use of pills of Saptamrutha Lauha
General debility and loss of stamina
Vidaryadi Kwath, Chyavanaprash, Kushmanda Rasyana
- Understanding and empathy
- Emotional support
- Somebody to talk with them, even for a few minutes will make a difference
- A sense of security
- A sense of self respect and that an assurance that they still matter
- Sparing some of your valuable time to be with them and pep them up with some news, jokes etc
- Playing a game of chess or whatever they know
- Provide them with some regular reading material such as papers, books, magazines etc.
- If they are not able to read because of poor vision you can read a story or a news item
- Accompanying them occasionally for a walk, encourage them to make friends with elderly people in the neighborhood so that they have some company
- Encourage your children to talk and play with them
- If an elderly member is ill or bedridden explain to the whole family including the children and servants about their condition and train them to attend to their needs. A spittoon near the bed, a jug of water at hand will be of help. Ensure cleanliness and hygiene in the room as well as adequate light and air.